Yoga Handstand Video Tutorial: Handstanding 101 “The Basics“
Do you want to do a handstand but have no idea where to start?
You have come to the right place!
This handstand tutorial video will cover all of the basics from hand placement to how to kick up!
- Place your hands on your yoga mat shoulder distance apart and spread all ten fingers gripping the mat lightly with your fingertips
- Wrap your triceps back towards your ribcage and roll your biceps forward.
- Engage your biceps by trying to “wrinkle the mat” between your hands. You will probably not actually cause the mat to wrinkle but this isometric contraction will help your bicep muscles to fire up!
- Pull your navel in towards your spine and your bottom floating ribs in and up towards the tops of your thighs.
- Walk your feet as close as you can to your hands. This should feel a lot like Ardha Uttanasna with your hands flat on the floor and your feet about 18 inches behind your hands. Do this while still keeping your shoulders firmly planted on your upper back and not sliding forward towards your ears. If this happens, slide your shoulders back down and maybe walk your feet back an inch or two.
- Lift one leg into the air and straighten it all the way. Think of trying to stretch the skin on the back of your knee.
- Turn the lifted foot pinky straight down towards the ground squaring off the hip.
- Keeping the lifted leg as straight and firm as possible bend your standing leg and on an exhale kick the straight leg up into the air. (Exhaling as you go up will draw your navel towards your spine and help to engage your core)
- Keep your eyes fixed just in front of your index fingers the whole time. Resist the temptation to gaze back at your feet.
- Once you find your balance squeeze your inner thighs together (think thigh master!) draw your navel towards your spine and reach your tailbone towards your heels!
- You can practice this at the wall and then move away from the wall as you feel more confident.
- Practice, practice, PRACTICE! It is 99% effort and 1% theory!
- Subscribe to my blog for more yoga inspiration, videos, practice tips and much, much more!
- Handstand Tutorial Part 1: Handstand Prep
- Handstand Tutorial Part 2: Finding Handstand in Tadasana
- Handstand Tutorial Part 3: Finding Handstand in Plank
- Handstand Tutorial Part 4: Handstand Principles in Down Dog and Handstand Jump Ups
- Handstands Tutorial Part 5: Handstands with an Excercise Ball with Angela Kukhahn and Marysia Weiss
4 thoughts on “Yoga Handstand Video Tutorial: Handstanding 101 “The Basics””
As always, your cues are right on! Many thanks for these helpful tips 🙂 This post is a great review to your inversion workshop I took from you @ yogaworks in Feb. this year. namaste!
thanks for reading Christine! Let me know if you have any burning questions about handstand that you’d like answered, I am always looking for inspiration for my next post! 🙂
I still have your notes and your other tutorials are all so good. I will email you if I have questions. Thank you for your support. I think for me, I just need to heal from the pesky wrist injuries and practice and build strength after that. Salamba sirsasana seems easy compare to handstand and pincha mayurasana and it look me 5 years just to learn headstand. 😉 Hope to come to another one of your workshops soon. Take care!
You’ve made some decent points there. I looked on the net to learn more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.