“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci
The Pre-Inversion Warmup
Before practicing inversions it is essential you warmup and stretch the muscles you will be using.
Your best bet if you are practicing at home is to warm up with a few Surya A’s, Surya B’s and then do a few of my favorite pre-flight stretches and strength building postures listed below.
- Hamstrings – Uttanasana, Down Dog, Half-Splits,Supta Pangushtasna, Prasarita Padottanasana (with a block squeezed between the bent elbows), Prasarita Padottanasana C (wide leg forward fold with hands interlaced behind back)
- Hips – Low Lunge, Half-Hero Pose, Sitting Virasana or Supta Virasana, Sukashana
- Shoulders – Gomukashana, Reverse Namaste, Garudasana
- Upper back – Dolphin, Dolphin at the wall, Shoulder opener at wall,
- Chest – Cobra Pose, Cobra pose variation clasping hands behind back, Forward fold w/hands interlaced behind back.
- Core – Navasana, Ardha Navasana, Stretch Pose, Forearm Plank, Side Plank
Happy flying yogis!