September 16, 2013
Crystal, health, Malas, Meditation, Tiny Devotions
5 Reasons You Should Be Wearing A Mala
1. It is a reminder of the infinite in the midst of the mundane. When I wear my mala it is a reminder of something true and good, regardless of whatever else may be happening at that moment. It reminds me to take the high road, even during those times when let’s be honest, I would rather kick someone in the shins. It reminds me that there are forces greater than me working together for my good. That I am a spiritual being in this human experience. That even though I may not see it at the moment things are working out exactly as they should.
2. They have healing qualities. My Tiny Devotions Mala is made of Rudraksha beads and the Guru Bead is an Amethyst. They say that crystals choose you, and in my case I am starting to believe it is true. This is the third Amethyst that I have been given this year. They are said to have a spiritual quality to them aiding in meditation, restful sleep, conquering addiction and healing of all types.
3. They are stylish and beautiful and add a bohemian flair to any outfit you put on. I am constantly in yoga clothes, in fact without yoga clothes on people barely even recognize me. Sometimes it is challenging to look stylish and cute when you are constantly wearing some type of spandex and sweating all day. A beautiful mala is just the thing to add a little flair to any outfit whether you are teaching a yoga class or headed out for the evening.
4. They are excellent for meditation adding a tangible and tactile way to count your breaths or chants. I am a bit of a baby meditator and have only been meditating now since last October. As anyone that has tried meditating knows staying present is hard work! One minute you are meditating and the next thing you know your mind has wandered and you are obsessing over what you are going to make for dinner later. Malas have long been used to keep the hands busy and help to focus the mind by running your fingers over each bead as you meditate, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale…you get the idea.
5. Stones create a magnetic field that our body responds to. Crystal healing works on the electromagnetic field around the body, known as the aura. Any form of disharmony or disease in our lives can cause blockages or other disturbances in our aura, which may eventually manifest as illness and dis-ease in the body. Wearing a crystal balances your electromagnetic field keeping your body happy and healthy.
To find your own beautiful mala check out www.tinydevotions.com!
August 12, 2013
Events, Retreats & Workshops, Yoga
california, health, Kundalini Yoga, Meditation, santa barbara
Join me & Aimee Thursday, Oct 3rd to Sunday, Oct 6th for a wonder-filled weekend at the legendary White Lotus Retreat Center nestled in the rustic coastal mountains of Santa Barbara…
This Dynamic & Restorative retreat weekend includes:
* Gourmet vegetarian meals
* Kundalini Yoga (level 1-2) & Vinyasa Flow (level 2-3) classes daily
* Pranayama & Meditation Instruction
* Special Inversion & Thai Yoga Partner Massage Workshops w/ Angela
* Deeply Restorative Sound Healing & Relaxation with Crystal & Tibetan Singing Bowls w/ Aimee
* Group Discussions on how to apply Yogic Wisdom in Daily Life
* Hiking & Swimming in Clear Mountain Spring Watering Holes
* Relaxing in the Hot Tub under a canopy of Stars
* Meditating in the underground Kiva & more!
All levels welcome.
Decompress from stress, renew & take your practice to the next level in this dynamic and restorative weekend among like-minded friends in a beautiful & tranquil environment. If you are interested in bringing a good friend or partner and prefer private accommodations, see below* We welcome those who wish to accompany their loved one and do not wish to attend all or any of the classes or workshops. There are plenty of amazing alternatives; take a hike, get a massage, sit back and read a book, enjoy the mountain air and ocean sunsets…
Price per person is $795.00 which includes lodging for 4 days and 3 nights, all meals, classes & events. Lodging is first come first served. We encourage camping, the grounds are beautiful! We are extending a special price of $695, please let us soon if you prefer to camp as these spaces are limited. *For couples or anyone seeking more privacy, private cabins are available for an additional fee of $125-350 per person.
Massages may be scheduled, please reserve yours early, there are limited time slots.
We recommend placing your deposit as soon as possible as this retreat is expected to sell out quickly based on the interest we have received. You can submit your transferable deposit immediately to hold your space below. (If you are unable to attend for any reason, your deposit is transferable to a future retreat.)
A non-refundable $200 deposit holds your space. You can pay by cash or check or to make your secure deposit via PayPal. All major credit cards accepted. Please note that a 3% surcharge will be added if you pay via PayPal bringing the total deposit to $206. Click HERE.
Balance due September 9th. If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact me at (310) 985-0218
August 5, 2013
Events, Inversions, Retreats & Workshops
handstand, Inversion, los angeles, Workshop, Yoga, YogaWorks
Sep 20 – Sep 22 2013
$35 Friday, $45 Saturday or Sunday, $110 entire weekend
This weekend has something for all levels of flyers so come willing to sweat, play, and let go of some old fears!
Friday Session (7:15-9:15pm): Grow Your Inversions
: This inversions basics workshop
is designed to make you comfortable to go upside down. We will discuss the fundamentals of inversions; begin with an inversion specific warm-up followed by core work, headstand A & B, forearm
balance, and handstand
at the wall.
Saturday Session (2:00-4:30pm): Fly Like a Yogi
Intermediate: This workshop is playful on purpose to get you out of your head and flying with ease. While staying grounded in the essential elements of alignment, we will play with creative ways of balancing away from the wall. Expect a strong Vinyasa warm-up, plenty of core-work, and lots of fun.
Sunday Session (12:00-2:35pm): Fun with Flying
Intermediate & Advanced: For the advanced yogis, this workshop will focus on slowing things down and moving exclusively from the core to control your inversions. We will discover the importance of the abdominals as we play with scorpion in forearm balance and handstand.
February 21, 2013
santa barbara, White Lotus, Yoga, yoga retreat
Join Aimee’ Donahue and I Thursday May 30th to Sunday June 2nd for our 2nd annual yoga retreat! Relax and renew during this dynamic yet restorative long weekend of yoga in beautiful Santa Barbara. We are in a new inspiring setting this year at the White Lotus Retreat Center.
I am really excited to help you deepen your practice on this retreat that is a joyful integration of all that we love! Teaching, practicing and sharing yoga come together in a magical way with amazing people to make this a unforgettable experience.
Two asana classes daily, workshops, pranayama, meditation, discussions, massage, gourmet vegetarian meals, mountain springs, swimming, sun and more.
Spend a long weekend away from the city, relaxing and being pampered while deepening your yoga practice. Take a hike, get a massage, enjoy the mountain air and ocean sunsets.
All levels welcome.
Price per person is $750.00 which includes lodging for 4 days and 3 nights, all meals, all classes and events. All lodging is first come first served. Private cabins are available for an additional fee of $125-200 for couples or anyone seeking more privacy. Camping is also available at a reduced price. Massages available at an additional fee.
A non-refundable $200 deposit will hold your space. Click HERE to make your secure deposit via PayPal. All major credit cards accepted. For further inquiry please contact me at (310) 985-0218. Directions to Retreat Center
We look forward to seeing you there!
Angela and Aimee’
February 12, 2013
Inversions, Retreats & Workshops
angela kukhahn, handstand, Inversions, los angeles, Workshop, Yoga
Yoga Workshop on Inversions with Angela Kukhahn
In Advance: $45
Day Of: $55
This is an All Levels Class!
Playing Upside Down: From Fear to Fun!
In this workshop we will explore inversions with a sense of adventure, curiosity and most of all fun! Inversions are for everyone and are extremely beneficial in strengthening the body and focusing the mind. We will work on the strength and flexibility needed for inversions, develop core awareness and discover proper alignement for floating and flying. We will explore headstand
, forearm balance, and handstand
. In addition we will explore how different variations and the use of props make inversions approachable to just about anyone! Come expecting to sweat, laugh, play and fly!
December 3, 2012
How To Tips & Tricks, Inversions, Yoga
handstand, health, Yoga
Doing Baddha Konasana in handstand sounds ridiculous, but it is actually quite delightful ounce you get the hang of it.
I remember the very first time I tried this. I was just beginning to flirt with the idea that I may indeed be able to do a handstand. This really helped give me the confidence to try handstanding in the middle of the room.
The reason this works so well is because when you bring your feet together it helps to get your hips up over your hands. Also, your center of gravity is lower than it would be in a traditional handstand.
Start by warming up for your handstand with a few Sun Salutations and a seated Baddhha Konasana. The Sun Salutes will warm up your hamstrings, shoulders and the Baddhha Konasana will prepare your hips for this handstand.
Try a few practice hops.
My teacher always says”Remember they are like pancakes, the first few are never that good”.
Remember these key points…
Keep your eyes focused between your index fingers.
Draw your arm bones into the shoulder sockets.
Do not let your elbows bend
Exhale and pull your navel back towards your spine as you go up. It is normal to get nervous and forget about the breath so try a few where you exhale audibly to get the hang of it. Once you are sure that you are breathing properly feel free to go back to silent breathing.
Have fun handstanding!
October 4, 2012
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Recipe
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Berry + Chia Pancakes
1T Chia Seeds
1/2 scoop 365 Whole Foods – Whey Protein Powder-Natural Vanilla Flavor
1T Raw Whole Flax Seed
6 Egg Whites
1.c Raspberries (or any berries of your choosing)
1/2 c. steamed or baked yam (can use canned pumpkin in a pinch)
10 drops liquid Stevia
1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Pure Almond Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Heat pan on stove to medium heat. Add all ingredients in the blender until smooth. Cook immediately as the chia seeds will begin to thicken the mixture the longer you wait. This recipe makes three yummy fluffy high protein pancakes. I eat mine slathered in coconut oil or coconut butter.
Here’s The Nutrition Breakdown
Total: Calories: 472 Carbs: 63 Fat: 7 Protein: 38
Per Serving: Calories: 157 Carbs: 21 Fat: 2 Protein: 13